Chicago’s Ford City Mall has over 100 stores for shoppers to choose from. Sales go on year round, and there are many fun events for families—such as visiting with Santa at Christmastime. Though many shoppers have positive experiences at the mall, others are not so lucky. If you were injured at Ford City Mall, you may be entitled to legal compensation. However, what type of compensation will you be able to seek if you are injured?
In a lawsuit, damages are in place to make a victim “whole” again. For example, if you spent $20,000 on a hospital bill after you slipped and fell, you would claim $20,000 in damages in your claim. When a shopping center is negligent, and that negligence leads to a victim’s injuries, the shopping center may be liable for those injuries.
Though damages vary significantly from case to case, they generally include the following:
- Medical expenses: The cost of any treatment you seek as a result of your slip and fall may be claimed in your case. This may include hospital bills, prescriptions, physical therapy bills, chiropractor bills, surgery bills, and even the cost of future medical care. With the guidance of an expert economist and other medical experts, your attorneys will be able to project how much you may have to spend on medical care for your injuries for the rest of your life.
- Lost wages: If you had to miss time from work, you should gather documentation from your employer that delineates your rate of pay and the time you missed from work. If you were forced to retire early or lost your job as a result of your injuries, the loss of your potential future earnings may be added to your damages amount.
- Home alterations: With serious injuries, many victims are forced to make alterations to their homes—they may have to install wheelchair ramps, for example. The cost of these alterations may be included in a claim.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering compensates a victim for not only the physical pain he or she has suffered, but also the emotional distress he or she endured. If a slip and fall victim falls into a deep depression after the incident, he or she may be able to claim damages for emotional distress.
- Some family members may also be able to file a claim for loss of consortium, or the loss of the benefit of their relationship. The spouses or children of the slip and fall victim typically file such a claim.
A slip and fall victim may seek several types of damages in a single claim.
Contact our slip and fall attorneys to discuss your potential damages
At Stein & Shulman, our attorneys have over forty years of combined experience in personal injury claims. We help our clients obtain the maximum compensation available under the law. To schedule a free consultation with our attorneys, call 312-422-0506 or visit steinshulman.com.