Glendale Heights, Illinois– April 29, 2018 (WGN News 9) According to a report on the WGN News 9website, a gas can explode at a bonfire, injuring at least eight teenagers. A group of about ten teens was sitting around a backyard bonfire in Glendale Heights, when the gas can, which had been left too close to the fire, exploded. The explosion happened around ten in the evening, and no parents were present when it happened.
Everyone who was hurt by the explosion is between fourteen and seventeen years old. The injuries they received vary. Two of the teens will need reconstructive surgery to recover from the injuries they suffered in the explosion. Another has burns covering much of their body. A fourth teen is in a coma. All of the teenagers are expected to recover from their injuries.
Warmer weather means that it’s time to get outside and spend time with family and friends. Bonfires are a popular warm weather activity, but they have the potential to be dangerous or even deadly. Following local rules about backyard fires is a step in the right direction, as is ensuring that the fire is adequately supervised.
There are many things you can do to keep yourself and others who are enjoying the fire with you safe. Build fires in contained areas, like a fire pit or a circle of rocks that is surrounded by dirt. Keep all flammable items far away from the fire, including gasoline, lighter fluid, and the wood that you’ll be using to fuel the fire. Hook up a garden hose and bring it close to the fire. Also, have a bucket of water handy in case the fire flares up. Completely extinguish the fire, making sure that everything is cool to the touch before you leave it.