When truckers have been injured in vehicle accidents in Illinois, they have a few different options for pursuing compensation for their injuries. Not considering fault, truck drivers working for commercial carriers can look into the possibility of a worker’s compensation claim. They can also consider a third-party claim for negligence.
A worker’s compensation claim can offer several benefits for truck drivers, including:
- Coverage for medical expenses associated with the accident and for ongoing medical care and medications while the trucker is recovering from his or her injuries;
- Disability payments while the trucker is healing and not able to return to work or while the trucker is working part time because of his or her injuries; and
- Training for another vocation if the accident caused injuries that prevent the trucker from ever returning to work in the trucking industry.
If the accident was due to negligence on the part of someone else, truckers in Illinois can also explore a third-party claim. The injured truck driver might be able to pursue a claim for damages against another person or a company that was at fault for the accident. Damages from a third-party suit can recover items not paid under a worker’s compensation claim, such as:
- Uncovered monetary or out-of-pocket expenses;
- Physical pain and suffering;
- Mental pain and suffering.
If a trucker was killed in a vehicle accident, the family members can pursue death benefits in Illinois pursuant to the Workers Compensation Act, or they can pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against the individual or entity responsible for the accident. In the event of any injury-causing trucking accident, it is important to contact a qualified attorney to review your legal options.
INJURED? CALL STEIN SHULMAN, LLC FOR YOUR INSTANT CASE ANALYSIS
Stein & Shulman, LLC has over 45 years of combined experienced in Illinois Personal Injury Law. You can receive a free and instant case review by calling our office at (312) 422-0506.