“We ran over and picked her up and her arm was missing from the elbow down.” That’s how the owner of a wildlife rescue describes what happened after her two-year-old granddaughter reached into the cage of a wolf-dog hybrid.
Authorities are now cracking down on the unlicensed facility that was harboring half-dozen red foxes, three coyotes, and 47 dogs that are believed to have been crossbred with wolves or other wolf-dog hybrids.
In short, it took a little girl losing her arm for the government to take action against someone regulators should have known was illegally sheltering dangerous animals.
Does this story give you confidence that your neighbors can control their pets? Does it make you feel like the weak pet licensing requirements the government has in place are keeping you safe? No. That’s why being able to bring a personal injury lawsuit against an irresponsible pet owner is so important.
Each year, over 4.5 million Americans, half of them children, suffer a serious dog bite injury. Lawsuits are the best tool we have for holding pet owners responsible for the harm their animals cause. The Stein & Shulman team is regularly involved in dog bite cases in the Chicagoland area.
We Bite Back
When you hire an attorney from Stein & Shulman to handle your dog bite case, you are hiring someone who will bite back. We will aggressively pursue your case by gathering evidence that demonstrates the severity of the injury, and the circumstances surrounding the dog’s attack, in order to maximize your compensation.
- Investigating the precise circumstances surrounding the attack;
- Thoroughly examining medical and police reports; and
- Consulting with medical specialists and animal behaviorists.
We do this so we can show:
- That the owner or person in control of the dog was negligent in training or restraining the animal;
- That the dog attacked you without provocation;
- That you suffered serious injuries as a result;
- That you were in a place you were allowed to be (e.g. not a burglar or peeping Tom);
- That the dog that bit you was not a law enforcement dog performing its duty; and
- That you did not consciously “assume risk” by being a professional dog trainer, veterinarian, or something similar.
We know what evidence to look for because we have handled many dog bite cases in the Chicago area. During our team’s five-plus decades of combined legal practice, we have helped clients in the Chicago area recover millions of dollars in compensation for their injuries.
A Top Choice For Chicago Dog Bite Victims
If you or a loved one has been attacked by a dog and suffered serious injuries, we are here to help. Whether you are ready to take legal action right now, or are just curious about what options are available to you, we are ready to take your call. Please contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation.