Assistance With Your Multiple Vehicle Accident
Multiple vehicle accidents account for 57 percent of all car related fatalities, killing over 10,484 people in the year 2014, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Highway Loss Data Institute. A multi-car pileup takes just seconds to occur. One driver distracted for a moment, can set off a chain crash involving cars, trucks, and motorcycles. The probability of serious injuries or death is higher in a multi-car pileup due to the sheer number of vehicles involved the collide with such force.
At Stein & Shulman, LLC, we understand the devastation that a multiple car accident can wreck on you and your family. One driver’s negligence can result in critical injuries to you and many others. You deserve justice if injured in this sort of traumatic crash, and our Chicago car accident attorneys will fight for your full recovery from the driver or drivers responsible for your injuries.
Causes of Multiple Vehicle Accidents
Multi-car pileups can have many causes, but some of the most common include:
- Speeding: Vehicles traveling at high rates of speed may be unable to slow or stop in the event of an accident. If a speeding car or SUV drives into one vehicle, a chain reaction crash could erupt.
- Driver distraction: Drivers who are texting, daydreaming, eating, or engaging in other distracting behaviors can quickly set off a multi-car pileup when they fail to stop or drift into another lane.
- Tired driving: Drivers who nod off behind the wheel or are dangerously distracted could careen off the road, drift into another lane, or hit the car in front.
- Failure to maintain a safe following distance: Cars that follow too closely are a recipe for a chain reaction accident. When the lead car must slow or stop, the following car will ram into them, and vehicles behind may well follow suit.
Fault in a Multi-Car Pileup
Multiple car accidents can involve complex issues of fault due to the numerous vehicles involved in the crash. Insurance companies will often investigate these crashes thoroughly because they will likely involve high payouts and blame can be difficult to assign between involved parties. Investigators will closely examine the behavior of each of the drivers to look for fault. This will involve:
- Interviews with drivers, passengers, and witnesses
- Photographs of the scene
- Review of each driver’s driving record
- Securing footage from highway cameras
Multi-vehicle accidents often involve multiple defendants, where multiple parties share some degree of fault for the accident. Illinois is a modified comparative negligence state that will allow accident victims to recover even if they were partially to blame for the crash, so long as their percentage of fault was under 50 percent.
If you have injured in a multiple vehicle accident, you will need an experienced car accident attorney to investigate closely and research the crash. Consult with an attorney in your area as soon as possible to protect your legal rights.
Fighting for Your Recovery After a Multi-Car Pileup
Multiple vehicle accidents are notoriously more deadly and complex than single or two vehicle crashes. If you have been injured in a multi-vehicle accident, the Chicago Car Accident Attorneys at Stein & Shulman, LLC are here to help. Our firm has handled all manner of injury and accident cases, achieving over 40 million in settlements and verdicts for our valued clients. We provide each client with individualized attention and care, striving to achieve your full recovery. Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our experienced car accident lawyers at (312) 422-0506 or by filling out a free contact form online.